Monday, November 3, 2008

Project: Nursery Bookshelves

I spent $25 plus a little more for paint supplies and made some unique bookshelves for the nursery (shared by Gabriel and Atticus). Made from vinyl guttering, the shelves are open so the books face out. My father-in-law cut a piece of guttering into four equal pieces. I then stripped some of the sheen off with paint thinner, sprayed on a plastic primer, and then applied three coats of chocolate brown paint. Once I put on the end caps, the gutters were ready to hang. This part was a little cumbersome, but I pre-drilled holes in both the gutters and the wall and then used a manual screwdriver to install each "shelf." They are perfect for little toddlers because they can SEE the book covers when choosing a book for story time, and clean-up is made simpler, too. I only wish I'd thought of it sooner.

3 comments:

  1. They look GREAT! A teacher at my last school installed these in her classroom, but they didn't look nearly as nice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fabulous idea! Dumb question - do you buy endcaps at the "gutter store?"

    ReplyDelete

Whatcha' think?

Get widget

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker