Wednesday, April 13, 2011

(Christmas) Brunch Casserole

You've probably already got two questions just from reading the title.

1. Is it Christmas already?

And 2. Based on past posts, does this girl love breakfast or what?? (See this recipe and this recipe for a little taste (get it?) of my obsession.)

Well, no, it's not Christmas. (And my pocket book is thankful.) But that doesn't mean we can't enjoy a holiday family tradition any ol' time! (Granted, it's MY family's holiday tradition; maybe not yours.)

But, yes. I do love me some breakfast. Oh, I do.

In fact, I love breakfast so much I sometimes want it for supper! Talk about comfort food!!

You may already have this recipe or one similar. But I do mine "real food" style. It's one of those recipes that happens to be E-A-S-Y to adapt to my family's standards. As you may know, that's not always the case. This one is simply a matter of quality ingredients: raw milk, pastured eggs, raw cheese, sourdough bread, grass-fed breakfast sausage. The recipe itself is quick and easy. If you want it for breakfast, do the mixing the night before. If you want it for supper, do the mixing that morning.


1. Brown a pound of sausage over medium heat.


2. While the sausage is cooking, cube six slices of sourdough bread. I use sourdough over other breads because it absorbs the egg as well as white bread (which the original recipe calls for) and looks appetizing in the dish. (Whole wheat bread retains its brown color, so you end up with big brown chunks in your egg casserole. Not that that's extremely important, but...) Besides, some would argue sourdough bread is healthier because of the natural leavening process, as opposed to the use of commercial yeast in other breads. Not to mention the fact that it's a fermented food.


3. Next, lightly beat eight eggs in a large mixing bowl. (Can you guess which two hens didn't eat as many bugs??)


4. To the beaten eggs, add two cups milk, the cubed bread, the sausage (after draining), one teaspoon salt, one teaspoon dry mustard, and a cup of shredded cheddar cheese. (Yes, that's cheddar.)


5. Mix well and then pour into a well-greased 9x13" casserole.



6. Now the wait begins. Cover the casserole and place in the refrigerator overnight or approximately eight hours before you plan to cook and eat it.

7. When you're ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350 degrees. I usually set my casserole out on the counter for a while prior to and during the preheating of the oven so it can come more to room temperature before baking. Bake for 35 minutes. Serves 8 to 10. Goes great with a fruit salad at dinner or with the "full spread" at a brunch.

(Sorry I forgot to take an "after" picture. I was too busy stuffing my face.)


Easier-to-read version:

Christmas Brunch Casserole

1 pound sausage, cooked (preferably grass-fed)
6 slices bread, cubed (preferably sourdough)
8 eggs, slightly beaten (preferably pastured)
2 cups milk (preferably raw)
1 cup shredded or grated cheddar cheese (preferably raw)
1 teaspoon salt (preferably Real Salt)
1 teaspoon dry mustard

Mix all ingredients and pour into a greased 9 x 13" pan.  Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes. Serves 8 to 10.

Originally posted at Real Food in Little Rock.


Speaking of food...I've been posting my weekly menu plans (to help myself become more organized). I even have two others linked up with me!!  If you blog, perhaps you'll consider linking up with your own menu plans! (Hey. Even if you DON'T blog, you can still link up. Email me to find out how.) Do it your own way. I plan all three meals on a weekly basis, others plan dinner only but for two weeks at a time. Anything goes!  Let me know if you're interested!!

3 comments:

  1. Sounds yummy, but I'm more of a bacon girl. I bet it would be good with bacon too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for commenting on my blog! This looks amazing, I'm definitely going to have to make it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm planning a brunch on Easter and have been planning my menu. This may be your Christmas tradition, but thinking it would be good on Easter.

    ReplyDelete

Whatcha' think?

Get widget

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker